Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Wir Sind Sister Training Leaders Geworden!

Hi Everyone! It looks like another week has gone by. I hope you have all had a wonderful Easter. We are still celebrating it over here in Germany. Today is Easter Monday so it is a holiday and the whole world is shut down. Fortunately, our Internet cafe is run by a family of Muslims so we are still able to email you today which is a miracle. 

Easter Sunday was great. We didn't have a conference session to watch on Sunday until 2 in the afternoon, so an older lady in our ward invited Sister Earnshaw and I over for Easter lunch. It was probably the fanciest lunch of my life. Lots of schnitzel and potatoes of course, and a beautiful chocolate cake for dessert. The table was set so beautifully, it was a good thing I was wearing my nice Easter cardigan :) We were stuffed afterwards, but it was so nice of her to invite us over. 

On Saturday morning we got our transfer calls. Sister Earnshaw and I are both staying which is nice. We expected that, BUT there was a twist. Usually the zone leaders call you to tell you your transfer first thing in the morning at 7. They will either tell you that you are both staying, or that someone is being transferred. President or the Assistants will call you if you are going to be training or become a Zone Leader or Sister Training Leader. The Zone Leaders called us first and we just thought they were going to say that we were both staying, but they called to tell us that they didn't know what our transfer call was and we would have to wait for President to call. That was just mean. We were sitting on pins and needles biting our nails off. About ten minutes later, President did call us and said...we would be the new Sister Training Leaders for the Freiburg Zone. Did not see that one coming. My first thought was, I don't know if I have good enough hair for that job...but you can't say no for that reason :) I was a Sister Training Leader in the MTC, but my companion and I were the only Sisters in the MTC at that time...so basically, we don't really know what we're doing, but we are going to learn. Now we go to Munich once a month for Mission Leadership Conference, we arrange exchanges with the other Sisters in the zone, and we help out with zone training. I guess we actually have responsibility now, but it will be fun to try something new out. 


Last week, Sister Earnshaw and I were waiting for our tram to come and I started talking to an older man. He noticed me holding my Book of Mormon and asked if it was a Bible. I said no and got to talk about the Book of Mormon and how we also believe on the Bible. We had a really good conversation and he ended up telling me that his wife had passed away four weeks ago. That totally changed the mood of our conversation and I told him about the Plan of Salvation and that he could see his wife again. It was really cool to watch his face turn from downright sad, to really curious. We exchanged contact information and we had our first lesson with him on Easter Sunday. It was so cool. He really just wanted to know HOW it would be possible to see his wife again. He said that he feels less sad when he talks to us and that he's excited to pray and ask God to see if this is all true. It is things like that, that make my mission so worth it. We are meeting him again this coming weekend and I am excited to hear about his answer.


What did you all think of General Conference? Wasn't it so good! Prophets are the coolest. I took lots of notes and am so excited to read and reread all of the talks. I especially liked the one President Bednar gave about fear. Everyone is scared of things. It's normal. You can ask anyone in my family. I am the biggest worry wart ever. There are always 'what ifs'. There is always a seemingly unpleasant worst case scenario and as humans, we just don't like uncertainty, but as we look towards the Savior, we realize, that it is all going to be ok. For some reason, there is nothing more reassuring to me than when my Dad tells me that it is going to be fine. I remember going to Summer term at BYU and my Dad was about to leave for the airport, so it was the official goodbye. I was pretty nervous about not being in my comfortable house all summer with people I knew, but my Dad just said, trust me, it'll be great. He was right. It's the same with our Heavenly Father. The whole time, he has been telling us, 'it is going to be ok'. It's not going to be easy, but it's going to be fine. 


Anyways, I hope you all had a lovely Easter and got loads out of General Conference. Have a great week and make good choices!
 

Love,
Sister Smiley


Pictures: The district (we surrounded Elder Morey because this is his last transfer), we went bowling last p-day, and Sister Earnshaw and I couldn't resist some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment